Advanced Scientific Writing: How to write for high impact journals
Level of course: A PhD course
Dates: February – May 2019 – both lectures and home assignments; 8 half-day classes
No. of contact hours/hours in total incl. preparation, assignment(s) or the like: 70
Max number of participants: 12 participants
Objectives of the course:
To advance the students skills in experimental results analysis and their scientific presentation, both at the level of material selection and scientific writing. To improve them to the level of advanced scientific writing of papers that get published and cited in high impact factor journals.
Learning outcomes and competences:
At the end of the course, the student should be able to:
- Understand the logic and structure of scientific papers for successful communication of research
- Structure scientific papers for successful communication of research
- Select the experimental results and represent them in the form of a coherent and interesting scientific story
- Acquire technical skills for logical and captivating writing and reader-attractive graphical representation of results
- Correlate the performed research with the established scientific community relevant ethical rules concerning research conductance and dissemination
-Responsible conductance of research: ethics of experimental work, scientific performance and writing
-Scientific writing: data selection and storytelling
-Writing skills for structuring stories in a captivating and energizing format
-Writing global (fundamental) science
-Writing for funding
-Writing for the public
-Data representation and visualization
Attendance at the lectures and active participation in practical exercises; submission of all assignments by the end of the course program.
To be provided during the course (it is a one-and-a-half week course, so students are not expected to read anything beforehand, but to attend full-day lectures and technical exercises to advance their presentation and writing skills).
The students will be evaluated based on a completed assignment on advanced writing of a paper.
Associate professor Elena Ferapontova
Deadline for registration is 10 February 2019. Information regarding admission will be sent out not later than two days later.
If you have any questions, please contact Elena Ferapontova