Straight To The Heart: A 5-Day Retreat for Students and Teachers of Mindfulness and Mindfulness-Based Programs (MBPs)
Instructor: Saki Santorelli
Location: Sostrup, Grenaa, Denmark - November 5-10, 2019
Straight To The Heart: A 5-Day Silent Retreat For Students And Teachers Of Mindfulness And Mindfulness-Based Programs (MBPs)
If we are motivated to relieve suffering, our own and others, and/or offer mindfulness-based vehicles for increasing wellbeing and human flourishing, we have before us a necessary and worthy challenge - the embodiment of these intentions. This is a lifetime labor necessitating our willingness to be completely undone and transformed through constant intimacy with suffering and sorrow, joy and beauty and love. Such intimacy invites us into what the poet and dervish, Hafiz calls, the city inside the chest – the realm of the brave, wise and loving heart.
Four decades into the adventure of integrating mindfulness and MBSR into mainstream medicine and healthcare, experience affirms for me that the most vital work of human beings, including those of us aspiring to be teachers, is to become apprentices of the heart. Fierce and tender, fiery and loving, this education of the heart will not found in treatment manuals or protocols. What’s called for is our willingness to enter this ‘city.’ This retreat is a gateway. Through a daily schedule of sitting and walking meditation, yoga and movement, poetry and story, group and individual practice meetings, evening talks and structured periods of dialogue and inquiry, we’ll learn begin to become intimate with the secrets of the heart.
Embedded in silence, infused with the spirit of warmth and befriending, together we’ll:
- Engage in the practice 0f mindfulness,
- Attune ourselves to the tenderness and insight of the heart-broken-open and its transformative power in our lives and within MBPs,
- Taste our innate stability, buoyancy and openness when facing difficult times in our own lives and in the lives of those with whom we work, and
- Inhabit the self-revealing nature of the awakened heart as self-centeredness dissolves and the sun of beneficence shines forth through our care and kindness for self and others and wholehearted commitment to accompany program participants into the unfolding of their lives.
- Deepen our understanding of the principles and practices of MBSR and other MBPs.
This retreat requires no adherence to a particular faith tradition. It is open to anyone teaching or aspiring to teach MBPs in a range of institutional and social settings and for those seeking an indepth immersion in mindfulness with no intention of teaching.